We are delighted to say that at River Beach have a School Travel Plan.
In case you are not sure, a School Travel Plan is a document which sets out how, at River Beach, we will promote safer, active and sustainable travel to school. Our main aim is to reduce the number of children being driven to and from the site.
We regularly update our Travel Plan to make sure it works as well as possible. We also hold regular meetings with key members of the community connected with the School Travel Plan. They include the local Community Police Officer, local residents, a Town Councillor who is also a West Sussex County Councillor, a member of Littlehampton Neighbourhood Watch, a School Governor, one of the lead teachers of our Green Team (Eco measures around the school), the manager of a local Halfords branch and members from our school community. The meetings are attended by our West Sussex Travel Adviser.
We think it is important to have a School Travel Plan because it is of benefit not just for our school community but also for the area around the school and the town of Littlehampton generally.
Other reasons we have the School Travel Plan include:
For the pupils
- Improving health and fitness by walking, scooting and cycling
- Improving travel awareness and road user skills
- Improving awareness of their surroundings
For the school
- Improving safety around the school
- Reducing congestion around the school
- Establishing safer walking and cycling routes around the school
- Contributing to other school policies such as Eco- Schools/Healthy Schools (we have awards for both of these areas)
- Linking to the National Curriculum
- Reducing stress and time spent driving to school, especially when it is congested
- Increasing quality parent/child contact time
- Building better links with the school
For the local community
- Improving the local environment by reducing air and noise pollution
- Reducing congestion problems
- Improving walking routes
- Improving road safety